In 1919 Stansbury Lodge member Frank Russell White designed a grand new limestone Stansbury Masonic Temple. Its main meeting room could hold 200 and had a mezzanine and balcony with a pipe organ. The first floor initially housed a post office, then a Sanitary (later Safeway) Grocery and eventually a Pontiac car dealership. The Freemasons rented their meeting spaces to Greek Sunday schools, high school fraternities, synagogues, and others. After Stansbury Lodge moved to Takoma in 1987, the building was sold, gaining brief notoriety as a nightclub, and in 2007 the Neighborhood Development Company rehabilitated the existing building and created a complementary addition together known as the Lofts at Brightwood. The Lofts at Brightwood consists of 32 one and two bedroom condominiums with 18 parking spaces. The project is a successful adaptive re-use of an existing historic building at the corner of Georgia and Missouri Avenues. The Lofts at Brightwood is also the home of the Brightwood Bistro which offers upscale dining with an eclectic bar area. Shinberg Levinas was the Architect for the project. NDC Builders, an affiliate of The Neighborhood Development Company, was the general contractor.
Project SummaryNeighborhood: Brightwood
Address: 5832 Georgia Avenue NW
Unit Amount: 32 + ground floor
Building Size: 30,000 SF
Construction completed: Winter 2007