The Washington Conservatory of Music and School of Expression, founded in 1903 by concert pianist and educator Harriet Gibbs Marshall (1868-1941), was one of the city’s earliest institutions promoting the arts for children and adults. Marshall worked to inspire and train African American musicians and to encourage them to create and embrace their own heritage of concert music. Instructors included Marshall, Georgia Fraser Goins, and Margaret Just (Howard University professor Ernest Everett Just’s daughter). In 1904 Marshall’s father Judge M.W. Gibbs donated the majestic corner house at 902 T Street for the school’s use. The school attracted students and faculty from around the United States and produced leaders in many disciplines.
The Neighborhood Development Company acquired the 902 – 904 T Street, NW properties through the city’s Home Again program. The property has been completed as an adaptive re-use of an existing historic building for three well-appointed residences. PGN Architects served as the Architect for the project.
Neighborhood: Address: Unit amount: Building Size: Construction completed: